Mother of Sorrows School was founded in 1948 by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. After 34 years of service, the sisters withdrew, leaving a lay administration to manage the school. The subsequent years were characterized by frequent staff and administration turnover and a drastic drop in enrollment resulting in financial difficulties.
By 1999, the school faced the possibility of closure. To prevent its closure and improve the services provided to the community, the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul assumed the administration of the school. The Daughters of Charity increased their involvement in 2002 by sponsoring the school. Since that time, the school has been guided by the Vincentian charism to honor Christ as the source and model of all charity, serving Him corporally and spiritually in the person of the poor.
In support of this mission, no family is turned away because of financial hardship. Today, with the support of our partners in mission, the school community is thriving. As we look to the future, we are committed to working closely with parents to promote the spiritual development of every student and strive for excellence in the education of the whole child.
Ms. Griselda Villarreal
100 W. 87th Pl.