Founded by the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Lady of Lourdes School welcomed its first pupils on September 13, 1949. A total of three BVM Sisters & one lay faculty taught 225 children in grades one through 6. Sisters Mary Carla, Mary Baptist, Mary Gilberta and Miss Bernice Fay worked very hard their first year to nurture an intensive faith based curriculum for the students. Teaching in close quarters, four class rooms and an assembly room were created for the children to begin what has become a 57 year tradition in the beautiful foothills of Tujunga, CA.
Back then, the natural Tujunga surroundings of oak trees and granite served as the backdrop and play area for the children of this newly formed school. Eventually, the rocky grounds were leveled and topped with asphalt to accommodate for a physical fitness program. By the time school reopened its doors in year two, the student population had grown by 100 and an additional faculty member had been hired to handle the demand. Our Lady of Lourdes School had become so popular throughout the 1950′s that two classrooms were added per grade.
By 1960, the campus grew to sixteen classrooms of which 8 new rooms were established on the southside of Apperson. In 1986, the school began accepting kindergarteners into a Kinder program and the program continues to this day. Coupled with a beautiful campus, highly educated faculty, and a litany of scholastic achievements, Our Lady of Lourdes School continues to educate in the rich tradition that was established by the founding BVM Sisters of 1949.
Ms. Jennifer Reynaga
7324 Apperson Street